KUALA LUMPUR, January 3 – Internal Trade and Consumer Affairs Minister Datuk Alexander Nanta Linggi has denied that anyone in his ministry is involved in the recent meat cartel scandal.
Mingguan Malaysia reported it as saying that he supports the creation of a Royal Commission of Inquiry (RCI) to examine the matter.
âHaving said that, I would like to state that no ministry official has ever encouraged or conspired with an import company or meat supplier in the scandal,â Nanta said in an interview.
He reiterated that the ministry is fully committed to curbing any activity involving the misuse of the halal logo of the Islamic Development Department (Jakim), especially for imported frozen meat products.
âFor the record, the investigations produced two cases under paragraph 8 of the 2011 Trade Descriptions (Halal Regulation and Certification) Act and section 5 of the same law.
“So far, the ministry’s confiscations include 10,876 boxes of various types of frozen meat, worth an estimated R3.5 million in both cases,” Nanta said.
The minister said the government has set up a special committee involving several agencies to monitor the issue.
âWe have formed the Halal Legislative and Enforcement Committee, which includes Jakim and the various state Islamic councils, to enforce halal standards, including the issue of false halal certification.
âOther agencies include the Customs Department, the Quarantine and Inspection Services Department, and the Veterinary Department to monitor the problem,â Nanta said.